Monday, October 18, 2010

New London, Connecticut - City of Romance?

A very fascinating town to me.  I knew my mother had been from New London but now I know after my genealogy research that my relatives go back for many years and seemed to love New London as they never left.  In fact, to this very day, I am finding many living relatives are still in New London.

Before Grandpa Canty ended up at Fort Moultrie in South Carolina, he was stationed at Fort H.G. Wright at Fisher's Island.  This was a fort that's responsibility was to protect the Sound between Long Island and Connecticut.  While stationed there, Grandpa Canty met Fannie Enos.  Between 1909 and 1915, they had three children: Leona, Nellie and Harold Canty.  The 1910 Census has Grandpa at the Fort and Grandma is still with her parents.  By 1920 Census, Grandpa is gone and Grandma is remarried to Charles Durr and living in New York.

Just this weekend I received an e-mail from one of my "found" cousins.  She tells me Grandma Fannie had kind of the reputation for being a "black widow."  Not in a sense of anything evil, but just that all four of her husbands died during her lifetime.  From this, I am thinking Grandpa Canty did, indeed, pass away before 1920.  Can't find anything on him.  Was he in Georgia with his brother or back up in Connecticut with his children?  I have no idea.  And all the family has no idea.  In the Census report, Leona, Nellie and Harold were even using the name Canty-Durr. 

So how do I find that out?  Nothing comes up on ancestry and I am thinking I need to check out what is necessary to do some obituary searching?  This is a mystery I am determined to solve.

However, what I do know is that before Grandpa ended up in Connecticut, he joined the Army in - of all places, OHIO!!  And by checking out those census reports, I have an answer.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment