Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Grandpa was a Bugler

I pulled out mother's Certificate of Birth which I had sent to Connecticut for and studied it.  I was definitely intrigued by Grandpa Canty being from the South; however, I was also excited to see while in the U.S. Army and stationed at Fort H. G. Wright, he was a bugler.  I was a clarinetist myself.  Right off the bat, we had something in common, even if it was just that we had a lot of hot air to blow.

I thought it quite romantic that Grandma Fannie and Grandpa Canty met while he was away from home and stationed near New London as that was exactly how my father met my mother.  Being from California and stationed in New London for submarine school during WWII. 

Fort H.G. Wright where Grandpa Canty was playing his bugle was located between 1879 and 1948 on Fishers Island which is off the tip of Long Island.  When I visit Connecticut in the future, it is on my list of places to visit.  [The picture attached here is of a U.S. Army Bugler in 1910, around the same time my Grandpa Canty was in the Army.  This picture is not of him, however.]

No comments:

Post a Comment