Saturday, April 14, 2018

Clerical Errors do Happen

For years I've been following Grandpa CANTY and his story.  A few months back I made a huge discovery - his death certificate.  I'd searched everywhere under various names such as Thomas Canty, Thomas W. Canty, T Canty, TW Canty.  So where did I find it?  Under George Canty.  What?  Clerical error folks.  Someone had drawn a line through T. W. Canty and written in George Canty.  He lived and died in Beaufort, South Carolina, but someone had written in Jasper County and yet that was crossed out and Beaufort was written in.  One of the Canty family had the date correct, but I could never find it.  So I tried once more and I opened up everything I could find and low and behold, it was listed under George.

I knew it was him because his brother W. A. Canty of Clyo, GA gave the death information.  But I also figured out something else.  His  brother Willy when he gave the names of their parents said Alex Canty.  The person writing it down heard Ellie or Ellic.  But Great Grandpa was  James Alex Canty.

So, one more challenge.  Where is Grandpa Thomas Walter Canty buried?  I'm on the hunt.  Any suggestions????

No comments:

Post a Comment